Thursday 9 September 2010

There has to be a reason,but.....

August has ended,September has just begun,and with a bit of luck we still have a month of warm weather ahead.Autumn is almost here and the leaves begin to turn a golden brown,but we still have weeks before winter,don't we?Halloween isn't till next month,then in November we have Guy Fawkes night,and it still won't be December for weeks,but today when I went into Tesco's,what did I find.Christmas puddings,Christmas cakes and mince pies.What next,crackers,wrapping paper,booze,and it won't even be November.
It seems to me that Christmas begins earlier every year,costs more and goes on for longer.Until last year I was a butcher and we worked a seven day week for the three weeks leading up to Christmas,we closed the evening of the 24th,opening again on the morning of the 27th.High street shops now open on the 26th,how long before their open on the 25th as well.
I'm not religious,but when the two major events in the christian calendar are celebrated by overeating,excessive use of alcohol and the spending of money I wonder,isn't about time we remembered just what we were supposed to be celebrating.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone is lamenting the same thing here. Christmas decorations are beginning to creep into the stores.

    I've adopted Boxing Day as a tradition. As a honorary Canadian, I feel it's my duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a half Canadian I think we should stick together.

    ReplyDelete