Thursday 30 September 2010

I remember it well.

You may not believe this but I've been known to have a moan,not often,only six or seven times a week.People parking outside my house,my Polish neighbours inability to argue quietly,automated phone calls,automatic tills that shout at me.But there is one moan I have every single day,television repeats.I pay £150.00 for a licence that allows me to watch last years programmes.Maybe thats why I listen to a lot of radio.
The BBC have six radio stations covering everything from pop,rock,MOR,through to classical music and the spoken word.So which one is my favourite,Radio 7,a station whose programming is nothing but repeats.From 5am till 4.59am I can listen to classic radio programmes from the early fifties up to the twenty first century.Now unless  you live in the UK,have friends or relations there, some of the following will mean nothing to you.
If I switched radio 7 on at 5am today,which I did,I could have listened to a chapter of Oliver Twist,followed by Anne of Green Gables.For the next two hours its childrens radio,but then,at 8am its The Goon Show.Peter Sellers,Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe,first broadcast in 1958.At 10am is the second of a three part production of Elizabeth Gaskels novel,Ruth.At 3.15pm its George Melly and Terry Hands discussing Jean Genet's,The Balcony.From 9.15 to10 pm is an 1861short story about an English girl in Salem.
I'll admit that some of these programmes might be on two or three times during the day,this just means that if I miss the Goons first time I'll have chance to hear them later.Tomorrow I can listen to The Navy Lark,Doctor Syn,Journey Into Space and High Table,Lower Orders.
Of course there are many other radio stations,local and commercial,but none like BBC Radio 7.

1 comment:

  1. My dad loved old time radio and listening to it often. This post makes me think of him.

    I think radio shows like that are a lost art & would be a nice option to listen to, like books on tape if you will

    ReplyDelete