Wednesday 29 September 2010

Summer Holidays.

Once upon a time there was a photo of me standing in a fountain wearing a knitted swimming costume.From what I can remember I must have just got into the fountain as the costume wasn't waterlogged yet,I must have been very young at the time cos I had blonde curls,ahhhh.Just off the south coast there be an island,Hayling Island and I'm certain this is where that photo was taken.For many years mum and I used to spend our holidays there.
There were only two ways onto the island,one by a narrow gauge railway over an iron bridge and the other by bus over an old wooden one.This bridge was so old and dilapidated that passengers had to get off the bus and allow it to cross before themselves crossing over and rejoining the it.Two things on that island have stayed with me,the first being a pond with a small mound and tree in the centre.It was called Monkey Island,don't ask me why,there were never any monkeys on it.The second was a convent school that I'm sure mum was at when she was young.She certainly knew some of the older nuns and the houskeeper and her seemed to be friends.Wether the school is still there I don't know,I don't suppose Monkey Island is.I went back there once with my ex-wife,the school was there then,I didn't go in though.
There were some holiday camps on the island,four I think,and we stayed at three of them  over the years.They had rows of wooden huts for the campers with,from what I can remember,two beds,a table and a wash basin. I would lay there listening to people passing by,on their way out for the evening I suppose.We ate in a large wooden building,there was a smaller one that was used for a clubhouse and bar.There was a swimming pool and bicycles for hire,but not much else,but then it was 1948 and only a year or so after the war ended.
I have a memory of us going to the theatre,it must have been a matinee performance,I would have been too young for an evening one.I don't know if it was an out of town warm up,it couldn't have been a touring production.It was "Call Me Madam".I remember mum and I singing "Your just in love"for days after.
I also remember visits to Portsmouth Navy Day and Arundel Castle.mmmm. 

2 comments:

  1. More! More! More! More stories please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their not stories,their my past,bits of me that have to be dragged up.Like todays.

    ReplyDelete