Tuesday 21 September 2010

St Pancras to The Crucible,then on to Venice.

I've been watching a series called Climbing Great Buildings,tonight was St Pancras International.I don't want to go too deeply into the design of the building,surfice to say it's what you would call high victorian.The brick,stone,marble and ironwork are fantastic,the gold leaf and grand staircase are,WOW!But,and here I go again,I think I ought to change my name to But,I prefer minimalism.Painting,music,theatre,architecture,all can gain from a little minimalist thinking.
I remember doing the set design,lighting and music for a production of The Crucible.The flats,a table,some benches,all were painted dark grey,luckily we were in a studio theatre and the floor was already black.The costume's were in differing shades of grey,with a little white.Can't remember the music,I think it was Ives,I know it took a while to find.
One small thing brightened this dark production,one of actors,a bit of an historian,thought his character would never wear such a drab colour and would only wear a costume he chose.The director tried to persuade him,but to no avail,no red cloak,wig or feathered hat,then find another actor.As it was only days to the first night he gave in.It went off quite well,though one actor recieved giggles when he entered.
Their next production was a colourful version of The Merchant of Venice,one extreme to another.

1 comment:

  1. I wish the US had the architecture that everyone else does. I love that line from Eddie Izzard "Look, this building was built over FIFTY YEARS AGO" as if it's some tremendous feat.

    ReplyDelete