Monday 30 August 2010

The never ending circleI

I mentioned my strange taste in music and I've been trying to remember when it reared it's head.
I'd been through my Chuck Berry,Little Richard,Fats Domino period,listened to a little jazz and drifted into classical music.Mozart,Beethoven,Strauss,the classical mainstream as it were.Then one day,while decorating the bathroom,I heard the first few notes of The Star Spangled Banner,the Jimi Hendrix version.I stopped painting,listened,and began a musical journey.Hendrix to John McLoughlin to Weather Report,then on to Billy Cobham and Charlie Haden.
I had some records by the pre electric Miles Davis but then heard a track from Bitches Brew and off I went again.John Surman,Keith Tippett,Evan Parker,Company,then Stockhousen,Cage,Tan Dun,I was back in the never ending circle that is music.
This strange taste in music I'm supposed to have,maybe it's this journey I've been taking thats strange.
To give you some idea of where I'm at,my last three CDs are:
The Trio of Doom.
Evan Parkers,The Moments Energy.
Canteloube's,Chants d' Auvergne.
Not that strange,surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment