Saturday 2 October 2010

Thans Derek.

This piece started out as a question.Which live bands,singers or musicians stand out in your memory.I'd started making my list,not alphabetical,just as they came to mind,when I realised how many of these guys I'd first heard playing as part of one paticular band.The Music Improvisation Company,or just,Company.
In north London there be a building,unless they knocked it down,but they wouldn't dare.It was,at one time,where trams were repaired,cleaned,turned around and sent on their way again.It was a large round building,hence its name,The Roundhouse.After the trams stopped running it lay empty until it started being used for the occasional rock or jazz gig.It was a great place,you could get a pint and a bite to eat,wander about,chat with friends or just sit and listen.This was where I first heard Company and was blown away by my first experience of free improvisation.
Company was a loose......company of musicians,English German,American,Dutch,and if my memory serves me well, a Belgium cellist who had the cello chained to his chair so that if at any time he was moved ,the chair would move with him.It was formed by the guitarist Derek Bailey,who it took me a while to,not understand more, hear properly,realise where he was.Company could be anything from a soloist up to six or seven musicians,blending,mixing,blowing with each other for a couple of minutes or half an hour.And what musicians,Evan Parker,Leo Smith,Anthony Braxton,Hans Bennink.
My record collection would be a lot smaller without that day,thanks Derek.

1 comment:

  1. One of the interesting things I've found about aging is how my taste in music changes. Music I didn't care for in the past suddenly becomes interesting. Also, found more open to more kinds of music.

    ReplyDelete